Sunday, December 8, 2013

Lois Lowry

The book I have chosen to read as my independent novel is entitled Number the Stars by Lois Lowry. Although I have read other books by Lois Lowry, I have not taken the time to learn anything about her. I think this will be a good opportunity to learn about her writing career, and will make reading the book more enjoyable. Lois Lowry was born in Honolulu, Hawaii. She was the middle child of three. Her father was a career military officer - an Army dentist, so she lived in many different places, including New York,Pennsylvania, and Tokyo. She went to high school in New York, and attended Brown University in Rhode Island for college. She got married to a naval officer when she was just 19 years old and began traveling again. Her husband became a graduate from Harvard University law school. They had four kids together, two boys and two girls,and moved to Maine, where they live today. Lois returned to the University in Maine to get her master's degree in writing. Lois has always wanted to write, since she was just five years old. Sadly, her husband Martin passed away after being married to Lois for thirty years. Her youngest son Grey passed away shortly after while fighting in the United States Air Force. Lois now lives alone in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Lois has won two Newberry Medals, for Number the Stars in 1990 and The Giver in 1994. Since then, Lois has won over 40 different medals for all the books she has written. The Anastasia and Sam Krupnik series are amongst her popular writings. Today Lois travels around the country, inspiring young authors to follow their dreams, just as she did when she was five years old.

1 comment:

  1. I've never read any of Lois Lowry's books but she sounds like a very inspiring and great author/writer. Also a very inspiring person.

    ReplyDelete