Sunday, December 15, 2013

Why the author wrote this book

I am on page 36 of the book Number the Stars by Lois Lowry. So far I am really enjoying reading this book. Annemarie Johansen is best friends with Ellen Rosen, who is Jewish. This book takes place in Copenhagen, Denmark, during 1943. The Jews are just beginning to get relocated by the Nazis. Ellen is forced to hide with Annemarie's family because the Nazis have taken the list of Jewish families from the synagogue, putting Ellen, her family, and all the Jews in Denmark in great danger. I think the author, Lois Lowry wrote this book to inform more people about what the Holocaust truly was like, and how scary of a time this was for Jews all around Europe. I think it's very important for people to realize what Jews had to go through during this hard time. There were many food shortages,lives in danger, and lives taken away during the Holocaust. I appreciate Lois Lowry writing this book, especially since I am Jewish. Although I personally can not relate to this book, since I was not alive during this horrific time period, I can't imagine how scary this must have been for Jews of all ages. It is strange for me to think that Anne Frank was just 15 years old, just like me, when she had her life taken away. This book makes me proud to be Jewish, and makes me realize how grateful I am to be alive. I look forward to reading the rest of this book.

4 comments:

  1. I think that it is really cool that you can relate to this book on such a personal level and it sounds like a good book too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks it is really good so far you should read it sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a super cool book, I was wondering whos point of view it was in ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cailynn, it's told in Annemarie's point of view.

    ReplyDelete