Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Final Blogging Assessment

  I think the quality of my writing has improved greatly over the course of the trimester. One thing that I think has improved is my elevated diction. I used to throw in common words that are overused a lot. After I write my blog posts, I go back and look for common words. I try to think of a more unique word that isn't used as much. This makes my posts more interesting for both me and the people reading it. For example, one word that I find to be overused is scared. "I can't begin to imagine how terrified Ellen is during this time." In that last quote, I decided to change the word scared to terrifed. This word isn't used as often and makes it sounds more dramatic.

 While I was working on improving the diction, there was one thing that I was still struggling with: voice. It's one thing to summarize what you have been reading, and how you feel about it, but it's a whole new thing to add voice to your writing. In order to add voice to your writing, you have to be very familiar with the text. Then you must think of what would make it interesting to read. One way I tried to add voice to my posts was to make them relatable. "This is mainly because we have a lot to relate to- we are both Jewish teenage girls." In that quote, I am stating how I relate to the main character, Ellen Rosen. In this next quote, I don't relate the quote to myself, but to the people reading my blog, because nobody wants to read something that doesn't relate to them at all. "After all, who wants to read a boring book where you know what's going to happen right away? If you like books that keep you on the edge of your chair, I recommend this one." I think adding voice to writing can be challenging, but can take the piece to a whole new level.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that you have gotten very good at blogging and I like how you used voice in many of your post overall I think you did a terrific job

    ReplyDelete